Preparing to Lay Out the Astrological Spread
As with other spreads, the Astrological Spread should be laid out neatly on a black cloth. This is often the same cloth the cards were wrapped in, and serves to protect the cards. It also becomes a ritual for the reader, and should be done the same way each time the cards are read, regardless of the spread used.
Focusing on the current situation, the individual should shuffle the cards. For this spread, both the Major Arcana and the Minor Arcana are shuffled together. This shuffling continues until the reader is satisfied that they have been shuffled appropriately.
All seventy-eight cards of the Tarot should be spread in a fan-shape, face down. The individual may then pick a total of thirteen cards, which are positioned, in the order they are chosen, in the Astrological Spread.
The Positions of the Astrological Card Spread
Each of the thirteen positions of the Astrological Spread has a specific meaning. The positions and their meanings are:
- Ares: This position describes the individual. It can show how he or she normally works through difficulties.
- Taurus: This card refers to the current financial situation and how it relates to the problem. Alternatively, it may concern beliefs or feelings about practical matters, such as money, but not relate directly to finances.
- Gemini: The card that occupies this position rules all forms of communication. It can indicate how an individual communicates and perhaps even what could be done differently.
- Cancer: This position relates to either the physical or emotional home of the individual. It might describe the need for emotional security, the search for a physical home, or any number of things.
- Leo: This card controls romance, art, and pleasure. It should be read in conjunction with Libra and Capricorn.
- Virgo: This position often indicates health, whether it’s physical, spiritual, emotional, or mental. It can also refer to work, though this card does not deal with a ‘true’ calling.
- Libra: All types of relationships are ruled by this card. This position could refer to romantic or business relationships, or it could refer to simple friendships. The Leo card should be referred to when interpreting this card.
- Scorpio: The card which appears here will likely deal with either an emotional issue or a firm objective. Which it is will be determined by the card itself. Usually, this card refers to some aspect of sex, money, or death.
- Sagittarius: This position indicates education, hope, and changes in attitudes or beliefs.
- Capricorn: This card reveals ambition, drive, and talent. It can also refer to work, but unlike Virgo, this ‘work’ would be more along the lines of a true calling.
- Aquarius: Friends and social groups are rules by this position. This can be what is already present in an individual’s life, or what is hoped for in the future.
- Pisces: This card is ruled by secrets. Hidden hopes and secret fears are revealed here. This card can also indicate blocks or obstacles to success. This is the card of vulnerability.
- Final Outcome: This last card indicates the ultimate outcome of the entire situation. The term ‘final outcome’ is a little misleading, as the Tarot tend to only reveal a six-month time frame.